Having a Will is one of the most important things you can do to protect and support your family members, loved ones, and the causes that matter to you most.
Jenny knows all too well the immense impact that cancer can have on a person's life. That's why she's left a gift in her Will to make a difference and help lessen the burden of cancer for others.
The impact of leaving a bequest
How gifts in Wills supports our work
$30.3 million towards cancer research
$29.9 million towards cancer prevention
$8.4million towards cancer support
What is a bequest or gift in Will?
A gift in Will, also known as a bequest, is a charitable donation left to a person, not-for-profit organisation or charity of your choice, as stated in your Will.
What type of gifts can you leave in your Will?
- A percentage of the remainder of your estate
- Property, land or entire estate
- A monetary gift of a set amount (e.g., $10,000)
- A percentage of your share portfolio
- Other assets
Types of gifts
A residual gift
After making provision for family and loved ones, you can choose to leave all, or part, of the remainder (residue) of your estate to Cancer Council Victoria.
A percentage gift
You can leave a nominated percentage (1-100) of your entire estate.
Whole of estate
You can choose to leave your entire estate to Cancer Council Victoria.
A set amount
You can leave a specific sum of money. If you would like a gift of money to keep its value over the years, it's sensible to ask your solicitor to index-link it.
A specific item
You can leave specific items of value such as shares or real estate value.
Any gift you include in your Will – big or small (even just 1% of your estate) – will help build a better future for generations to come.
What are the benefits of leaving a bequest?
Imagine the impact a gift left in your Will could have on the future of cancer. By funding ground-breaking cancer research into better treatments, and programs that can help stop cancer before it starts, your gift brings hope for a future where a cancer diagnosis is no longer something to fear.
Fund lifesaving cancer research
Cancer Council Victoria is a leading contributor to cancer research in Australia, and Victoria’s largest not-for-profit funder of cancer research. We invest in cutting-edge research and prevention projects, while harnessing advancements in technology, to ensure the biggest impact.
Create a legacy that lasts beyond a lifetime
You don’t have to be wealthy to leave a bequest. Every gift, no matter how big or small, has a powerful impact on helping us realise a brighter future. For example, if you leave 90% of everything you own to your loved ones, giving the remaining 10% to Cancer Council Victoria – you would be making an exceptionally generous gift.
Change the future of cancer for generations to come
Cancer Council Victoria is striving for a cancer-free future, and it’s gifts in Wills that helps us plan for this future, bringing its possibilities closer. With more than 50 per cent of our cancer research funding coming from bequests, these generous gifts are integral to the progress we’ve already made and the progress to come. Together, we can keep improving outcomes for people with cancer and save more lives.
Want to talk about leaving a bequest?
Learn more about bequests
Further information about gifts in Wills and estate planning.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a bequest and a gift in Will?
A bequest is just another term for a gift in Will. In Australia, the two terms are often used interchangeably.
Does leaving a bequest lower my taxable estate value?
There are no inheritance or estate taxes in Australia. While donations you make to a charity that is a deductible gift recipient (DGR) are tax deductible, bequests are treated differently and are not tax deductible as they are part of your Will.
How do I leave a bequest in my Will?
Leaving a bequest in your Will to Cancer Council Victoria is simple and can be broken down into four steps
- Make the decision to include a gift in your Will
- Decide the type of gift you will leave in your Will (we recommend a residual gift)
- Organise a Will or update an existing Will. You can write your Will yourself however we
recommend engaging a professional such as a solicitor, financial planner or accredited Wills
and estates specialist.
- At the time you create or update your Will, write the bequest into your Will. If you already have a Will, you can simply update it or add a CODICIL (a legal provision) to include your bequest.